Saturday, March 12, 2011

Creme Egg Macarons


I quite possible that I will have eaten my weight in Cadbury Creme Eggs by the time Easter gets here. The other day I did something I didn't think was humanly possible, I ate two whole creme eggs, though I have to admit I didn't feel super awesome afterward and will probably never ever do it again.


Its been so long since I've made made macarons, so I was very excited to make some inspired by my favorite Easter treat, creme egg macs. I don't know if it's been done before, but I was pretty impressed at my chocolate flooded brain coming up with the idea.


The macarons themselves are plain vanilla (made using my regular recipe) filled with chocolate egg shell ganache and creme egg goo.


To make the macs look like eggs I set aside two tablespoons of mixture before filling my piping bag. I dyed the set aside mix with a little yellow food colouring and spooned a tiny bit on top of each macaron just after piping.


To make the filling-

6 Creme Eggs
50 mls cream

The best (messiest) part of the whole process is scooping out the creme eggs, cut each in half, spoon the insides (goo) into one bowl and place the chocolate shells in another.


Bring cream to the boil in a small saucepan, pour over chocolate shells, whisk together until it forms a smooth and glossy ganache.

Using a piping bag, pipe a ring of ganache around the insides on the macaron bottoms, using a small spoon fill the centres with creme egg goo.


Gently place on the macaron tops.


Bring on Easter!

19 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Those are awesome! I love how they look like eggs too. a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A great recipe for macaroons. I am very impressed! Caroline B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing creation! I've never tried these egg chocolates, but I have seen them in the store. It's even better to see them transformed into dainty macaroons. You're so creative; as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get enough of Cadbury eggs but also admit eating two in one sitting is hard to do. These macarons are adorable. I love your inspiration and the filling is so creative! Right now I am waiting for my Easter macarons to dry but they're are looking more like diseaster macarons :-) a bit too runny. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kara, these look absolutely amazing! And I don't even like Cadbury's cream eggs! Nxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG !!! Dear I think these are absolutely fantastic? amazing? wonderful! all of them, look lovely and perfect, love these eggs, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! What a wonderful Easter idea. I'm living abroad for the year and my friend's have posted me some English Creme Eggs (the American ones are not the same!)

    I saw this the other day and after reading this post, I thought it may interest you... super creme egg! http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project/409/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these look amazing! I've never made macaroons before but I definitely want to try these. I cannot believe you ate 2 creme eggs though, I feel a bit queasy myself at the thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely I like the egg look alike touch. I had a similar creme egg idea I was going to try last week but my 2 year old contaminated the egg whites on the last day of aging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely an awesome original idea! So clever you are, they look delicious, and I bet so delightfully sweet to bite into!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pure genius!!!! Great looking macs and I can imagine they taste awesome. Will be book marking this recipe to try closer to easter, if I start now I too will have eaten my weight in creme eggs lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that! I need to recreate it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the best thing on the internet! I am the reason they sell Creme Eggs in January - I buy them from the day they hit the shelves until the day they stop. I didn't think they could get any better until now. Yum.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. How clever & wonderful! I don't think I'd ever have enough patience to make these. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clever! I bet they taste great! Love the egg look too:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in LOVE with this idea! As soon as those creme eggs hit the checkout I cannot resist getting one (or two) every time I do the shopping. Can't wait to try this recipe, thanks. Just wish Cadbury still released the raspberry fondant filled eggs they had many, many moons ago :)

    ReplyDelete