Friday, January 13, 2012

Chocolate Caramel Slice (updated)


I'm a big fan of caramel slice, so lucky for me this was a request for someone else. Not one to say no to sweets, even I'd feel bad having to eat all this slice by myself .

I'm sure everyone knows chocolate caramel slice, it's one of those tradition recipes that most people have tried, well everyone except me. I have a vague recollection of attempting to make it when I was very young and everything going wrong. Thinking back on a younger me it was probably because I was super impatient.
This time the slice turned out beautifully, the base was nice and crumbly and the caramel was deliciously gooey but still kept its shape. The thin layer of chocolate over the top finished it off perfectly and calm collected present me finally won against the caramel slice.I think maybe next time i'll include some salt flakes somewhere for a salted caramel slice or perhaps a double thick layer of caramel to make it even more awesome.

I Have had a lot of response to this recipe, turns out Chocolate caramel slice is a lot of peoples favourite. I have had a few questions asked about different ingredients and measurements for those of you not in Australia. To hopefully answer your questions I have included the recipe again at the end of the post adding measurement conversions and a few more notes. Hope it helps, let me know.

For the Base

1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
125 grams butter (melted)

For the Caramel

60 grams butter
395 gram can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup

For the Topping

185 gram block dark eating chocolate
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

To make the base- preheat your oven to 180 degrees c. and line a 20 x 30cm tray with baking paper, making sure to cover the sides.
Add the flour, brown sugar, coconut into a medium bowl, pour in the melted butter and mix together.
Press the base mixture into the prepared pan and flatten firmly with a spatula. Bake the base for around 15 minutes, until it is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
While the base is baking prepare the filling.

To make the Caramel filling- add the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan.

Stir over a low heat until the caramel is smooth and thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
To make the slice- Pour the cooled caramel over the base and return to the oven for around 15 minutes until the caramel has turned golden brown. Allow the slice to cool completely before spreading over the chocolate topping.
To make the chocolate topping- Break the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl, heat for 30 seconds at a time until chocolate is melted and smooth, stir in the vegetable oil.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel and smooth out. Place the slice in the fridge and chill for about 30 minutes until set. Cut into squares with a dry warm knife.

Enjoy!!

For the Base
1 cup plain flour
 1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (fine, not shredded or flakes)
125 grams butter (melted) (4 ounces)
 For the Caramel 60 grams butter (2 ounces)
395 gram can sweetened condensed milk (12 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons golden syrup

 For the Topping
185 gram block dark eating chocolate (6 ounces)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

 To make the base

  • Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c. (350 f.) and line a 20 x 30cm tray with baking paper, making sure to cover the sides.
  •  Add the flour, brown sugar, coconut into a medium bowl, pour in the melted butter and mix together. Press the base mixture into the prepared pan and flatten firmly with a spatula. 
  • Bake the base for around 15 minutes, until it is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. 
  • While the base is baking prepare the filling.
To make the Caramel filling 
  • Add the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan.
  •  Stir over a low heat until the caramel is smooth and thickened.
  •  Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. 
To make the slice 
  • Pour the cooled caramel over the base and return to the oven for around 15 minutes until the caramel has turned golden brown. (It will be darker around the edges and set toward the middle, if not return to the oven for another 2 minutes or until done) 
  • Allow the slice to cool completely before spreading over the chocolate topping. 
To make the chocolate topping 
  •  Break the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl, heat for 30 seconds at a time until chocolate is melted and smooth, stir in the vegetable oil. 
  • Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel and smooth out. Place the slice in the fridge and chill for about 30 minutes until set. 
  • Cut into squares with a dry warm knife.

39 comments:

  1. Oh yes! They look oh so delicious! I really should make some very soon, although I would probably eat the entire tray! Very dangerous. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, we don't really have "slices" in the US. The first time I came across a slice recipe was in an English cookbook. I have yet to try them, but those you made look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like pure heaven. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! Look at how thick that caramel layer is!! Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM yum yum that looks so caramelly, it makes me want to bake some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy. I am going to make a batch for my younger brother for his birthday in March, oh and my birthday is the day after so a batch for myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks so easy. I'm going to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing it, and thanks Nasreen for sending me the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is golden syrup? Is it like corn syrup or syrup for pancakes? I would like to try this if I can find that or something that can be a substitute for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I live in Idaho and they sell golden syrup with the pancake and kyro syrups at my grocery store. It comes in a jar with a green label with a lion in the center and a green lid. The brand I found was lyle's golden syrup. Hope this helps... I'm making these now and they look yummy!

      Delete
    2. Here in TN at Kroger they sell it in the International Food Isle because it is made and imported from England. It is soo good and to me far tastier than corn syrup or honey. Before I found it here in TN I Googled it and found that World Market carries it as well.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing and taking the time to convert measurements for us Yanks!!:) xx

      Delete
    4. In New England ( at least in Connecticut) I have found Lyle's Golden Syrup at Stop and Shop in the Pancake mix aisle

      Delete
  9. Hi Karen. I think it is the same or similar to treacle. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! Treacle is entirely different! Please don't substitute treacle for golden syrup! Treacle is a dark-strap molasses with a higher sulphur content than regular molasses. Golden syrup is a cross between light Karo and honey. As has been mentioned, Lyons Golden syrup can be purchased in some grocery stores, depending on where in the country you live. Look in the pancake syrup/Karo aisles. When I lived in VA our Harris-Teeter carried it. If not, I'd suggest substituting honey and/or corn syrup mixed in equal amounts.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clearing that up Janet. I had read that golden syrup and light/pale treacle are much the same? but had not tried it myself. Good to know.

      Delete
    3. Per Wikipedia--Golden syrup is a pale treacle.[1] It is a thick, amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance similar to honey, and is often used as a substitute for people who do not eat honey.

      Delete
  10. Karen, I found Golden syrup in the baking section at the grocery here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, Slice of heaven, anyone? My husband couldn't find the golden syrup, so I used Karo and, although the center was oozy, it was delicious! Perhaps I needed extra time when baking the filling?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you provide the gram equivalent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I've updated the recipe including the measurements in ounces. Does that help?

      Kara :)

      Delete
  13. This looks, sounds and reads as to die for wonderful. I am interested in why it is called "a slice"? It looks like what we in Arizona call bar cookies. Anyone out there know the provenance of the name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's called a slice because it's cut into slices...
      and I don't see why you would call it a bar cookie, because cookies are round.. so that doesn't really make any sense to me... Well at least in Australia and New Zealand there is a very clear difference between a slice and a cookie - two completely different things...

      Delete
    2. In the USA a slice is a piece of bread..this is more a square here...lol

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Here in TN at Kroger they sell it in the International Food Isle because it is made and imported from England. It is soo good and to me far tastier than corn syrup or honey. Before I found it here in TN I Googled it and found that World Market carries it as well.
      Per Wikipedia--Golden syrup is a pale treacle.[1] It is a thick, amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance similar to honey, and is often used as a substitute for people who do not eat honey.

      Delete
  15. well... now I need to make a grocery list that includes golden syrup, wow this looks amazing! Hopefully my local grocery store (in Portland, Oregon) will carry it! these look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. If one has an allergy to coconut and needs to leave that out of the recipe, will that alter the base too much? Or would it be okay without it? could something else be added in its place? I have several tree nut allergies, so I just try to avoid most of, if not all of them to be safe...sorryto be a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried this recipe without the coconut so I cant say for sure, if you left it out you would maybe need to change the amount of flour.

      A shortbread base would be a really really yummy substitute.

      Delete
  17. no parece dificil, lo tengo que probar... una pregunta, el dulce de leche, pasaría algo si lo compro ya hecho?

    gracias por compartir la receta!!1

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have used maple syrup as a golden syrup substitute and it works just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so yummy! I would like to try it with the maple syrup substitute as mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have made this over 10 times now! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah so the filling was way too tiny. Double it up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this looks delicious :) But I'm french so I certainly won't be able to find golden syrup anywhere and maple syrup is quite expensive here, so I was wondering if it would work with honey or maybe just "melted" sugar? it would be absolutely amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Im an aussie chick here in the USA and im soooooo glad I have found this recipe. Its so good. Even found golden syrup in a store in PA, and had it shipped to AZ. Lets see how well it turn out.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love caramel slice will be making this ......yummmmmmmy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can u substitute in cooking chocolate as funnily enough I dont have eating choc in my cupboard

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG!! I made this yesterday and it was absolutely AMAZING! my layers didn't look perfect but it tasted divine! Thanks so much for the recipe! <3

    ReplyDelete